Some windows have been left in the 80's and are dressed with (sorry if I offend anyone) vertical blinds. It doesn't matter how they have changed the choice of materials, they are still vertical blinds and I still have distaste for them. My favorite choice for windows; interior custom shutters, with drapes. A beautiful combination. Second choice; drapes with a beautiful fabric, lined and hung from a nice looking rod. I am quite partial to roman blinds also.
I'm not a big fan of horizontal blinds (mini blinds) or the vertical blinds with the sheer material between the blades. Both are dust collectors, very hard to clean and make horrible noise when the breeze blows in from an open window. I never left my window open in the summer when I had horizontal blinds. Now, with my fine-looking shutters, I leave the window open all summer and get soothing breezes blowing through my bedroom without all the noise. I like to keep things as low maintenance and as quiet as possible.
Rules for decorating windows
- Never have your drapes too short
- Mount your drapes as close to the ceiling as possible, it makes your windows look more grand
- Never use vertical blinds
- Make sure you have enough fullness in your drapes. If you try to save some money by only buying one panel when you should have two, it will show.
- Always try to use a drapery panel that is lined with the exception of sheers. It will save the fabric from fading and you won't see through it when the sun shines
- Always take the proper measurements before purchasing your window treatments
- Don't put short drapes on a short window, take them to the floor
![]() |
| Photo courtesy of Pine Cone Hill |
Choosing a window dressing is just like choosing fashion, you get what you pay for. If you need help making a fashion statement on your windows, email me or call me at Henry's Purveyor of Fine Things.

No comments:
Post a Comment